Once the warm weather hits I start wanting to make one of my all time favourite desserts, Key lime pie. This is an independence day classic that I love making. I love the citrus tang with the creaminess of the condensed milk. Best of all it requires few ingredients just a bit of advance planning to make sure it has chilled enough to set.
I found this recipe a few years ago on the internet:
I didn’t change very much from the original recipe with the exception of adding more zest 2 TBSP and I use an 8 inch springform tin. Make sure you chill it overnight after baking so that it holds it shape when slicing up. Living in Ireland we also can’t buy graham crackers for the crust so I used digestive biscuit base.
- 150 g digestive biscuits
- 3 cans of 397g sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Combine crushed digestive biscuits with melted butter.Press into bottom of springform tin. Chill for one hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into digestive biscuit crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.
Happy 4th of July!